Sunday, March 30, 2008

Witnessing at my job- Thursday, March 27th

I had the most incredible day today at Aristocrat talking to people about the Lord ALL DAY! I wanted to tell you about it, and ask for some prayers for some of the people I got to share with.
First off, I had my usual shuttle run in the morning (going through Morris County), and one of my regulars is a man named Jack. I have always liked Jack. He was born the same year as my dad (1926), served in the army in WWII, was a hard worker for many years before his retirement, is a positive guy with a good family and good values. He has ridden with me about 2-3 times a week for the past 2 years, so we have become good friends. We talk about everything from sports to news to weather to family to faith in Jesus Christ. When he was in the hospital in January, I was able to contact his family, and come out to the hospital for a visit, and pray with him. That seemed to open him up more to talking about spiritual things. He shared that he was raised in the church, but had lapsed somewhat in his attendance at worship and in serving the Lord. He understands the principle of "living faith", but he has not really "closed the deal", and put the Lord in the center of his life. Out of the blue, he asked me yesterday morning, "I have been meaning to ask you- what do you think about these people who are down and out or in jail or in trouble, and they say that they have become converted, and they got religion- and now everything is different. Don't you think that is being a bit hypocritical?" Wow- what an entry! So, I began to talk to him about the Apostle Paul and his conversion, I spoke about my conversion 36 years ago, talked about Chuck Colson, the former Nixon aide who was jailed for his role in the Ellsberg smear campaign, who became converted about 34 years ago, and is now the founder of the most effective Prison Ministry in the world. I spoke about the difference between having Christ as part of your life, vs. Christ in the center of your life. I also said that any conversion has to be "proved out" over time. I asked what he thought about all this, and he said that he begins each day with prayer, and he talks with God throughout the day, and tries to live for Him. I encouraged him to ask God what is the "next step" in his growth in his relationship with the Lord. He said he would. Pray for Jack, that the Lord makes it clear to him what he needs to do to rekindle that "living faith" that he once had.
Then, my second job was a corporate job with another driver named Sally. Sally is a bit of a tough woman, but last fall, she had taken about 3 months off of work at Aristocrat when her husband of 19 years filed for divorce. We were all concerned about her, but she seemed to come back with renewed strength. Yesterday was the first time I had seen her since the divorce. She thanked me for the invitation to attend Easter worship at The Well (she had to work that day). It was obvious that she wanted to talk about it- we talked pretty much the whole day. She told me about her pain, her thoughts of suicide, her depression, the divorce settlement, the support of her kids and grandkids (and how she knew she had persevere to be there for them), and some of the things her faith had given her through her trials. Once again, I was able to share with her about different biblical principles. I quoted different biblical verses, but it was not preachy. It was just conversational- building your house upon the rock verses the sand, waiting on the Lord to "renew our strength", making Jesus your "first love", etc. She was very receptive and open, and I believe that the Lord is working on her. Pray for Sally, that the Lord will become her first love and the center of her renewed life. Pray also that she comes out to worship at "The Well" one day.
Finally, at the end of the day, while I was driving my group back to their motel from dinner in New Brunswick, a passenger named Walt was sitting in the front seat, and he heard me talking on the phone about the Lord with my wife. He asked if I was spiritual, and I, of course, shared that I was a Christian, and a minister at a new church, but also ministered while I was driving on the bus. He shared with me that he, too, was a reborn Christian, who had suffered from depression many years ago, and gave his heart to the Lord in 2001, and has served Him ever since. We talked the whole way back, about how the Lord had given him a new purpose in his life, about the progress he has made with his depression (although he still suffers bouts of depression, they are not as severe or as crippling as they had been; and, he has someone to talk to about it throughout the day when he prays sentence prayers all day long). Again, I spoke about building on the rock, about the Lord's work through brokenness, about ministering to others who suffered in the same way, about our church model (a "disciplemaking" model of ministry- equipping people to use their gifts and experiences to as bridges to serve others), about prayer, about making the Lord the center of his business, etc., etc. Pray for Walt, that the Lord will make it clear to him how he can serve him, for healing from his depression, and for Walt to continue to grow and be used by the Lord to serve others and to fulfill His purpose for him.
Then, when I got back to the garage, another driver named Joe thanked me for the invitation to worship, and although he couldn't make it last weekend (he was in Pennsylvania with his family), he would try to make in another Sunday. Pray that Joe and others may come out to worship one day.
Whew! What a day! One of those days you say, "I got nothing done that I planned to do, but everything done that the Lord planned for me to do!" Pray that I may continue to take advantage of the opportunities I get to serve Him at work! Continue to pray for Jack, Sally, Walt & Joe, that the Lord will complete the work He has begun in them!

No comments: